3/17/10

3 BEEF CARBONNADE

This is a classic Belgian stew. It calls for beer but I used the Beef Broth that I made yesterday.

This was delicious. We had the missionaries from church for dinner and they said it was the best stew they have ever tasted. Jay (my husband) said it was really really good but a little sweet. However, the missionaries loved that it was a little sweet.

I am not a fan of stew, but if I am going to eat it this would definitely be the one that I would choose.

The recipe says it serves 6. There was plenty for the four of us and the three men had second helpings. I ended up with about 1.5 cups left.

I was completely full after one serving.I served some garlic sour dough bread and a sweet spinach salad with it. It was a good meal!

Average Rating: 9/10 (four people)

BEEF CARBONNADE RECIPE
(from WW SLOW GOOD cook book)

The small adjustments I made are in brackets:

1 lb boneless bottom round in 1" chunks (I increased to 1.5 lbs)
1/2 tsp salt/ 1/4 tsp pepper (light sprinkle of Montreal instead)
3 medium onions - sliced
1/2 cup reduced sodium beef broth (used home-made)
3/4 lb baby potatoes, halved (Used regular and peeled them)
3 garlic cloves
2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon packed brown sugar
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard (I used brown spicy)
1 tsp dried thyme
2 bay leaves
2.5 cups reduced sodium beef broth (used home-made)
5 medium carrots - cut in 1/2" pieces
2 Tablespoons flour (Increased to 3 because of extra liquid)

1. Sprinkle beef with seasoning and heat on high in skillet until brown
2. Transfer beef to slow-cooker
3. Put onions in skillet and cook on medium until lightl brown
4. Stir in 1/2 cup broth, bring to a boil, stir constantly
5. Transfer onion mixture to slow-cooker
6. Add pototates, garlic, vinegar, sugar, mustard, thyme, bay leaves
7. Reserve 1/3 cup of broth into a small bowl and refrigerate
8. Pour the rest of the broth into slow-cooker
9. Push the potatoes down into the liquid
9. Top with a layer of carrots
10. Cover and cook until fork tender (I did low for 6 hours - perfect!)
11. Whisk the flour and reserved broth until smooth
12. Stir in 1/4 cup of hot liquid from slow cooker until blended
13. Stir flour mixture into slow cooker.
14. Cover and turn to high for 15 minutes, should be thickened
15. Discard bay leaves (I forgot and Elder Stephens ate one!!!!)

Serving Size: 1 cup
WW Points Value: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment