3/16/10

2 SLOW COOKER BEEF BROTH

It turned out great, I measured approx. 9 cups.

It has a wonderful taste and much better than store bought. But not really cost effective as it probably cost the same as if I bought the cans on sale.

I froze 6 cups and the other three cups I am using today in recipe #3 Beef Carbonnade

Rating: 9/10

SLOW COOKER BEEF BROTH RECIPE
(from WW SLOW GOOD cookbook)

5 lbs meaty beef shank bones (I used neck bones, much more meat)
32 oz can whole tomatoes drained (I didn't drain them)
4 celery stalks with leaves - quartered
3 carrots - quartered
2 onions - quartered
6 flat leaf parsley sprigs
2 fresh thyme sprigs
2 bay leaves
1 tsp salt (I left this out)
10 whole black peppercorns
8 cups water

1 Preheat oven to 450 degrees
2 Place bones in roasting pan in oven for 20 minutes
3 Transfer bones to slow-cooker and add remaining ingredients
4 Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours
5 Strain broth through strainer, discard bones and vegetables
6 Let sit for 1 hour then cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours
7 Remove any fat from the surface of the broth
8 Use as a soup base or freeze

Serving Size: 1 cup
WW Points Value: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment